Helping immigrant entrepreneurs succeed in business in PEI since 2011
Immigrant entrepreneurs bring an abundance of experience, resources and access to new markets that are of enormous benefit to the provincial economy. However, they are challenged by the absence of professional networks, and a lack of familiarity with the local business environment. PEI Connectors helps them get established in business in PEI, so they can achieve their business goals and become long-term contributors to the local economy.
About PEI Connectors
PEI Connectors is an initiative of the Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce. The goal of the program is to facilitate connections between immigrant entrepreneurs and the PEI business community.
The program offers networking and business support services to entrepreneurs who are new to PEI and/or new to Canada, and to Island businesses that are owned by immigrants.
Services are available in English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Persian, and are offered free of charge.
Individuals who have immigrated to Canada and are now residents of PEI, and plan to establish businesses in the province, are eligible to become PEI Connectors clients.
Individuals who are at the exploratory stage of the immigration process are advised to contact the PEI Office of Immigration for information about immigrating to PEI.
• To facilitate connections between immigrant entrepreneurs and the PEI business community
• To help familiarize immigrant entrepreneurs with the PEI business environment, and integrate into the PEI business community
• To help immigrant entrepreneurs succeed in business in PEI, and become meaningful contributors to the local economy
• To promote the retention of immigrant entrepreneurs in PEI
• To raise awareness of the valuable contributions of immigrant entrepreneurs
Program staff offer the following services:
• Facilitate connections between immigrant entrepreneurs and members of the local business community
• Offer educational programming to familiarize immigrant entrepreneurs with the local business environment
• Provide one-on-one business support services to immigrant entrepreneurs
Program staff do not:
• Provide business brokerage services
• Provide legal or financial advice
• Assess the viability of purchase or investment opportunities
• Evaluate real estate opportunities
• Provide translation or interpretation services
PEI Connectors clients are advised to seek professional legal and/or financial advice before pursuing purchase or investment transactions (program officers will help connect clients to professional services upon request).
• Program staff do not attest to the character or intentions of volunteer connectors or business contacts.
• PEI Connectors does not administer the Provincial Nominee Program.
The Chamber Connection
With close to 1,000 members, the Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce reflects a diverse network of small, medium and large businesses from almost every industry sector and business profession; it also works closely with chambers of commerce throughout the province. As such, it has the capacity to offer immigrant entrepreneurs valuable networking opportunities, and insight into PEI’s business environment.